Mamaearth company was founded by Ghazal Alagh with her husband Varun Alagh. It was established in the year, the birth of their daughter Agastya. The company is headquartered in Gurgaon, Haryana. The company does not only deals in wellness products for adults only but also deals in products for babies as well.
It is one of India’s hottest new-age consumer brands, riding the so-called direct-to-consumer (D2C) trend, in which firms sell directly to customers via their websites or via e-commerce platforms rather than taking the more traditional and expensive offline route. It includes bamboo-based baby wipes, face masks, lotions, and hair care products among its more than 80 toxin-free, natural goods. Derma Co, a second brand, was launched in late 2019.
It is one of the few new and upcoming brands in the country, whose products have reached annual sales of over Rs. 500 Crores. It intends to use the capital to develop its portfolio of direct-to-consumer (D2C) personal care brands. Aqualogica, a hydration-based skincare line appropriate for Indian skin and tropical climates, was just released. It will also continue to expand Mamaearth and The Derma Co distribution and look for strategic inorganic development prospects in the personal-care area.
The couple created the brand in Gurugram in 2016 under the parent firm Honasa Consumer Pvt Ltd, employing the best available substances – natural, plant-based, or synthetic – that are both certified safe and effective.
Varun adds that the ingredients of their company products are sourced from the best suppliers across the world that are ISO, GMP, and Non-GMO certified. Mamaearth began with six baby care items and has since expanded to include 80 SKUs of skin and hair care products for men and women, as well as goods made specifically for pregnant women.
They are spread over 500 cities with a 1.5 million customer base across India and have been served by the organization. The startup now aims in the next three years to acquire 5 million new customers. An international expansion to key markets in Southeast Asia is also on the cards.
As the investment boom extends into the new year, Honasa Consumer, the parent company of personal care brands such as Mamaearth and The Derma Co, announced on January 1 that it had secured $52 million in a round led by Sequoia at a valuation of $1.2 billion. The round was also sponsored by Sofina Ventures SA and Evolve.
This comes six months after the company was valued at $730 million after raising $50 million in a fundraising round headed by Sofina Ventures. While the business stated that the round also allowed employees to sell their vested ESOPs (employee stock options), it did not indicate the amount or number of people who would benefit.
Mamaearth Outlets in India
Mamaearth has outlets in Delhi, Mumbai, and Bengaluru, with ambitions to expand to ten cities in the future. Its products are available on Amazon, Flipkart, Firstcry, and Nykaa, as well as on its own website.
The work which the company is doing and what they are looking to achieve is a good thing. We want to create a brand that is your friend and the friend of every parent. A buddy that understands you, is aware of your problems and makes every effort to resolve them, or at least the majority of them.
A brand that any parent, including you and me, can trust, a brand that aims to improve and beautify the lives of mothers and expectant mothers. A brand that welcomes all of our infants into a world that is healthy and safe.
We want to ensure that every parent and baby’s health is taken care of from head to toe with safe, toxin-free, international quality products that you may use without hesitation.
Mamaearth Certified Products
The work which the company is doing and the steps they are taking –
- Safety – Asia’s first brand with MADE SAFETY Certified Products. We ensure that our goods pass all needed tests and satisfy the safety standards that you expect as a parent. We have a set of extremely high safety requirements that you may read about in detail here. If it’s dangerous, it’s not for our baby’s planet, and it’s not from Mamaearth.
- Empowerment – Nobody knows a baby better than a mother, even if it’s simply through her instincts. We’re always working with a panel of parents who provide honest feedback on our goods, which we use to improve them and come up with new ideas. All of the products are created by moms, for moms, and sold by moms.
- Honesty – We understand how critical it is for parents to understand what they are feeding/using on their children. Mamaearth develops its products in an open and honest manner. We pledge to offer everything we dreamed of as parents for ourselves and our children. In our ingredients section under products, you may learn about all of the substances we use and why we use them.
- Best for Earth – We believe in providing goods that are both delicate and effective. We make sure we employ the greatest accessible ingredients (natural, plant-based, or man-made) that are both certified safe and effective in getting the job done in this endeavor. We get them from the greatest suppliers in the world, all of them are ISO, GMP, and Non-GMO certified. The health and well-being of a baby are our first focus.
The company follows the super safe standards for their products while manufacturing which include –
- Product Need
- Product with a purpose “why”
- Latest Research
- Understood by Large Board of Directors
- Testing of the product
- Stability Tests
- Microbial Tests
- Dermatological Tests
- Research and Development of the latest research
- Parent’s feedback on products
- Made Safe Certified
- QACs Lab Tests
- FDA Approved (The Food and Drug Administration)